Dal chawal is a go-to meal for most of us. It’s the perfect self-care recipe that we enjoy for its simplicity. For a lot of us staying away from home, this could be just what we need at the end of the day to unwind and feel the comfort of home, to remember the aroma of the dal cooking while we waited with hunger to fill our stomach until we’re satisfied and the crisp sound of spices and veggies sautéed with glory in ghee. It’s a meal our heart and stomach would thank us for.
We would have always heard about the benefits of lentils from our grandmothers. There are many different types of lentils and they are a great source of protein, vitamins like vitamin B1, iron, potassium and essential amino acids.
However, we may not be getting all the nutrients we are supposed to from just dal chawal, to get all the require proteins and amino acids. This may depend on various factors. Sometimes, a sensitive stomach could bloat after a meal full of lentils. But to make the most of this simple meal and give our gut the essential nutrients to digest the meal better, we started adding CosMix Happy Gut to our recipe every time we cook it.
For this recipe you’ll need –
Masoor Dal (approximately 2 small cups for 2 people serving)
1 medium sized onion (chopped into small pieces)
Garlic (according to preference)
Green chillies (according to preference)
1-2 tsp CosMix Happy Gut
For Garnish –
Ghee/ oil, a pinch of Hing (Asafoetida), cumin seeds, ginger, kalonji (nigella seeds), curry leaves and coriander leaves.
- Wash the masoor dal thoroughly and soak in water for ten minutes. You can add a pinch of turmeric and just a little oil to temper the dal before you pressure cook it. Pressure cook the dal for 3 whistles.
- Heat a little ghee and oil in a pan, add cumin, kalonji (nigella seeds) and a pinch of hing and wait till it splutters.
- Add ginger (half an inch to taste) or ginger paste, garlic, green chilli, onion and a few curry leaves. Sautee till the onions turn golden brown and take a moment to smell the aroma.
- Once the onion is cooked, add the cooked dal, some red chilli powder and salt and boil for about 5 minutes. Add coriander leaves once its done.
- Add a tsp of CosMix Happy Gut to your dal and mix well to help your gut strengthen and digest your food better.
Enjoy the process, it’s comfort and simplicity!